Raul Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 02:52:59PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > This is why I think a suggestion is too weak. You can equally well remove
> > the suggestion, because I can't rely on it and have to check always if a
> > package follows the policy suggestion or does it differently.
>
> No.
>
> You can always build with DEB_DEBUG_OPTIONS=debug and expect that the
> executables created will have debug symbols.  This is already true even
> without this policy being implemented.

This is true now, but with the proposal of Ben implemented, we have the
following sentence:

> If you want users to be able
> to rebuild your package with debugging information easily, the suggested
> way is to use the ``DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS'' environment variable.

This means, packages may choose other ways to specify "build with debug
symbols", and I canĀ“t be sure any longer what to do to get debug symbols
(in cases where they are supported).

This is what I am concerned about. Either we write down a standard way
in policy and make it mandatory (for packages which support it), or we
forget about it.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Marcus