Radovan Garabik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> immo vero scripsit

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 09:21:05PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> This has nothing to do with documentation being converted to Unicode.
>
> That's what everyone is on about.

Actually, what everyone is on about is a wholesale migration of debian
to Unicode, with writing documentation as an easy first step.

> We can all go for application to be utf-8-aware, and I won't stop
> that.
>
> Converting all documentation to utf-8 is ridiculous, and unnecessary.

Do you think the currently proposed policy (documentation should be
written in unicode, packages should use the same encoding for all its
documentation) is in some sense bad?  If so, could you suggest a better
phrasing?

It looks to me as if unicode needs some "han-shift" characters (and
maybe something more -- I don't know enough about oriental languages to
say for sure) before it can properly deal with oriental locals.

It also looks to me as if X needs some major protocol revisions before
it can efficiently handle the representation of these characters.

So, maybe we shouldn't even be talking about unicode.

However, unicode does solve a variety of problems, and it has the
potential to solve many more.  And, if we're going to solve them we need
some kind of approach, so that we can gradually make progress.

I'm not completely happy with the "convert the documentation" approach
myself -- debian shouldn't be about introducing unnecessary differences
in upstream packages.  [Much better to become involved upstream.]  But,
I find that I don't have anything better to offer.

Thanks,

--
Raul