Steve Greenland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'd really like to see the list expanded to include /sbin and /usr/sbin
> as well. My rationale is that init.d scripts are intended (and mostly
> only useful) for the root user, and the the whole point of /sbin
> and /usr/sbin is to contain scripts useful for the root user. It is
> completely reasonable to assume that those directories are in the path,
> and my opinion is that if they aren't, the admin needs to fix their
> system.

Exactly.  In fact, if we did anything to promote the automatic adding of
/sbin and /usr/sbin to the PATH variable, then the default behaviour of
dpkg where it fails if things like start-stop-daemon isn't found in a
PATH search would stand out like sore thumb.
Email:  Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>