On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 02:22:31AM -0500, Jor-el wrote:
> I may one day  install a new package which makes the assumption that one
> of these ids are existing, and then end up with a broken package / system.

Therein lies the reason why they cannot be simply removed. If you happen to
install a new base-passwd and have it redo the group file, all the existing
software on the machine that uses them may break. This includes non-packaged
stuff just like that which is packaged.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.