>>"ben" == ben  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

        [SNIPPED a whole lot of verbiage basically defending logic
        over emotion]

        Nice polemics. But each side here has a modicum of logic on
  their side; Branden wants a nice, uncontroversial, black and white,
  writ in stone (well, may be not) list of commands available to
  maintainers of packages that appear early in the boot process, when
  parts of the standard system may not be populated. Merely looking at
  whether the package is Essential is not enough; since /usr is not
  mounted early in the boot process.

         The pro is obvious, one can then figure out easier how to
  package something like that, and perhaps even allocate fault in some
  packages with no argument whatsoever. The Con is that this list has
  to be maintained, and may be superfluous, and seems to be designed
  to be yet-another-stick-to-beat-recalcitrant-developers-with.
  (Superfluous how? just look at the cvontents of /bin and /sbin to
  determine whether to command is actually available that early in
  boot).

        Aj, on the other hand, is logically asking for continuing to
 use package priority and content of /bin and /usr as a guide, and
 asking for logical, and technically convincing reasons for changing
 the setup, and using these to obviate the need for the list. The con
 here is that since we are allowing people a modicum of free will,
 there shall be controversy.

        As to the specifics of cut; I do not find any argument advanced
 so far that is convincing; I still think that a minimal / is a
 desired goal.

        Of course, we can all admit we are wrong, Jeroen was write,
 and like the Hurd, do away with the silly /usr thang for once and for
 all.

        manoj
--
 NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!