Santiago Vila <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> immo vero scripsit:

> > I'd rather document awk to be an exception to the clause
> > because unilaterally loosening this clause will require us
> > to further patch the debootstrap phase.
>
> What do you mean? You speak as if there were lots of essential
> packages using the alternatives mechanism to provide the name of the
> executable to be used. Are there so many?

Well, there aren't, AFAIK, there is only one.
But I have read your mail as a proposal to
loosening that requirement so that /bin/sh etc. can be
made into alternatives, which will either mean essential systems
need to specify "#! /bin/bash " in their installation scripts,
or there needs to be a further hack on the installation script so
that we can provide bin/sh symlink before bash postinst is run.

> > Debootstrap (the Debian installation system) special-cases awk, and
> > creates a symlink.

Anyway, the answer to :
"dpkg will not prevent upgrading of other packages while an essential
package is in an unconfigured state"? Why should dpkg unconfigure an
essential package to begin with?

is that before system is bootstrapped, everything is in an
unconfigured state. Dpkg doesn't unconfigure it as such.

regards,
        junichi

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4