Hello,

On Sat 03 Nov 2018 at 11:42PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:

>> How about:
>>
>>     As an exception, required targets may write to the directory specified
>>     by the ``TMPDIR`` environment variable (or ``/tmp`` if that is not
>>     set), provided that files created in that directory are deleted before
>>     the target completes and are not reused by subsequent executions of
>>     the target.
>>
>> This explicitly states that this is an environment variable and makes it
>> clear that it refers to a directory.
>
> I may be wrong but I expect that a lot of packages targets leaves stray
> files and directory in /tmp (that are created by mktemp but not removed)
> but not reused, and also that some of them fail to honor TMPDIR.
>
> Do we have some data about this ?

There isn't any data about this that I know of.

The patch says

    provided that files created in that directory are deleted before the
    target completes and are not reused by subsequent executions of the
    target.

rather than

    but files created in that directory must be deleted before the
    targets completes and must not be reused by subsequent executions of
    the target.

so I don't think applying this patch would make a package RC-buggy
simply because it left some things behind in /tmp.

On the other hand, if a package built differently the second time
because of some things left behind in /tmp, that would surely already be
considered to be a bug, possibly RC, depending on what the differences
were.

--
Sean Whitton