Guillem Jover <guil...@debian.org> writes:

> As I mentioned on debian-devel, I think major parts of this and of the
> sysuser stuff fall under dpkg realm. And my plan is to implement this
> kind of functionality natively in dpkg, regardless of whatever the
> outcome of that GR is.

> Of course some parts of the functionality needed to manage/track
> temporary pathnames requires integration or hooking into an init system
> or chroot/container manager, but that's true regardless of the
> implementation.

Could you say more about how you think dpkg would be able to handle
systemd-tmpfiles?  As you mention, this is something that has to be done
at every system boot, which seems pretty far afield from dpkg's domain.
Do you want to maintain custom dpkg plugins for every init system that a
dpkg system may support?  (My recollection is that dpkg supports other
OSes like Solaris.)

(systemd-sysusers is another matter and a bit more obviously doable with
dpkg, although if Sam's option three wins, I'd ask everyone in the
project, including you as dpkg maintainer, to consider the possible
benefits of using cross-distribution mechanisms instead of Debian-specific
mechanisms.)

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>