On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 10:51:43PM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > |--- a/policy/ch-controlfields.rst
> > |+++ b/policy/ch-controlfields.rst
> > |@@ -652,9 +654,14 @@ orderings.  [#]_
> > | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > |
> > | In a source or binary control file, the ``Description`` field contains a
> > |-description of the binary package, consisting of two parts, the synopsis
> > |-or the short description, and the long description. It is a multiline
> > |-field with the following format:
> > |+description of the package, consisting of two parts, the synopsis or the
> > short
> > |+description, and the long description.
> > |+
> > |+When used in a source control file in the general paragraph (i.e., the
> > first
>
> I believe the 2nd "in" in this line is too much.

Mh, not really?  However indeed it might be clearer this other way:

    When used in the general paragraph of a source control file [...]

> > |+one, for the source package), the text in this field is relevant for all
> > binary
> > |+packages built by the given source package.
>
> and then I'd rewrite "the general paragraph (i.e., the first one, for
> the source package)" into "the first paragraph" and the whole paragraph into
>
> When used in a source control file the first paragraph is used as the first
> paragraph for all binary packages built by the given source package.

That's not proper: the place this text is placed (§5.6.13 "Description")
talks about the "Description" and it's linked to from the various places
this field is used (a source control file, a binary control file, a
changes control file); it's not describing the source control file (i.e.
d/control).  Furthermore, note that the wording "general paragraph"
comes from §5.2 "Source package control files – debian/control":

    The first paragraph of the control file contains information about
    the source package in general. [...]

    The fields in the general paragraph (the first one, for the source
    package) are: [...]

Of course I'm happy to use a different expression (like, "first
paragraph of a source control file") if I'm recommended to.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

More about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :