Simon McVittie <s...@debian.org> writes:

> GNOME's gdm3 and KDE's sddm both enumerate possible Wayland sessions in
> /usr/{,local/}share/wayland-sessions/*.desktop and make them available
> as desktop sessions that users can choose, in addition to listing the
> X11 sessions that they traditionally did.

> At the moment, installing gdm3 pulls in either gnome-session (a minimal
> GNOME desktop), or some sort of X11 thing (usually a session manager,
> but sometimes a window manager or an xterm), but it should ideally be
> possible to install gdm3 as a login prompt from which to launch a
> non-GNOME Wayland session like weston or sway.

> I propose this entry for virtual-package-names-list.yaml:

> - name: wayland-session
> (/usr/share/wayland-sessions/*.desktop)

I trust Simon to understand the issues here and nothing about this jumps
out as a problem, so seconded.  This seems like an appropriate use of a
virtual package because this is a fairly broad-ranging interface that will
require coordination between separate packaging teams (such as the GNOME
and KDE teams).

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>