Russ Allbery dixit:

>Thorsten Glaser <t...@mirbsd.de> writes:
>
>> You got your merged /usr already, and to force packages to move their
>> files WILL break users’ systems. In particular, mksh as /bin/sh is a
>> supported configuration.
>
>Could you explain how this would break a user's system?  From your second
>sentence I'm guessing that you're anticipating some problem related to
>diversions, but I can't put the pieces together without some more details.

If I have a link from /bin/sh to a binary from the mksh package,
then on normal upgrades dpkg updates it atomically. Diverting the
binary in /bin/ away will leave the symlink from /bin/sh (which
is managed by the local admin because the dash package ignored two(!)
rc bugs regarding its changed /bin/sh management behaviour, when they
broke it, for more than two releases so the bug got eventually closed
so mksh couldn’t offer package-controlled /bin/sh management that was
coordinated with bash post-lenny) dangling.

Despite all this, running with mksh (the /bin/lksh binary) as /bin/sh
is a supported configuration (Policy 10.4), and I’ve read of many
users who are doing this.

This means that, hypothetically, should someone upload mksh with the
suggested move, which would divert the /bin/ files away in preinst,
users would need to be told to manually change their /bin/sh back to
bash for a bit, upgrade then, and then switch it back, or have their
system break on upgrade.

This is fragile, and the “benefits” are nowhere even near worth it:
/usr-merge per top-level symlinks per CTTE was forced on all systems,
so we got that now, and it is absolutely unnecessary for packages that
are not part of the pseudo-Essential set to move their files because
their implicit Pre-Depends on the Essential set will ensure that the
/bin symlink is already in place so this is a total nōn-issue.

bye,
//mirabilos
existence.              -- Coywolf Qi Hunt