James Tappin wrote:

It looks as if the upgrade managed to trash the hardware clock setting,
and in addition when I booted to Linux, the wireless base station was
weak so that the network was effectively down when ntpdate tried to run
-- as a result on Linux I was getting a date of 1-Jan-1904. After

I have encountered the clock problem when using the ubuntu kernel 2.6.10. After most of the sleeps the laptop could not recover and I was forced to reset. Invariably the clock was set to 1-jan-1904 and I had problems with various gnome applets.

Is there a way to avoid such problems (besides the obviuos solution of using a more stable kernel), because I feel that whenever I will have a problem and the laptop will have to be hard-resetted I will have to set again and again the clock as I am behind a stooopid firewall.

-- Regards, EddyP =========================== I had a favourite quote, but I forgot it. And it was insightful.

-- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]