John Steele Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Joerg Sommer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> I took the false values. It is not only putting the value into the
>> register. To enable ictc bit one of the register must be enabled.
>> Unfortunately I tried powers of two. :-( Now with 15 (divider = 10) it
>> works and the system behaves like a slower system. Playing a mp3 with
>> xmms consumes nearly 50 percent of cpu.
>>
>> But I observed a higher power consumption. I don't know why.
>
> I think a higher consumption could be explained, but I haven't looked at it in

How? I think ICT is useful to reduce power consumption and increase time
working with battery.

> If the idle state uses less power than the running state, then it is probably
> better to run the instructions as quickly as possible, and then spend as much
> time as possible in the idle state. If this is the case (which could be
> verified by looking at kernel source code and the device datasheet), then ICTC
> is only going to reduce power consumption for loads which will be using 100%
> of CPU at high speed. But this application is not particularly useful for a
> desktop machine.

How do you measure the power consumption? I look at /proc/pmu/battery_0,
but unfortunately there are only values when running without power
connection (discharge battery).

Jörg.
--
Nur tote Fische schwimmen mit dem Strom.