On Fri, 27 May 2005, Rainer Gutkas wrote:

Could you discuss 4) with me? And if it is off list it's ok too. I let's
say hypotheticall that I got a laptop which I wan't a good operationg
system to run on and for me that's linux. All I need is 4) the theoretical
howto as practical as possible.

I don't know of how much help I can be.  My only real experience is with
BootX, which it also sounds you're trying to get away from.  Have you
seen this page:

    http://penguinppc.org/bootloaders/

Details are a little scarce, but between these and a google search, you
may find enough info to get you going ...  I myself, am trying to get
rid of OS 9 + BootX, and will mostly likely end up using quik.  Another
person on this list with a machine similar to mine has reported some
success with this combo.

cheers
vinai