I'm installing on a C500 right now too. Since I couldn't get the boot floppies to work, I'm using the same methodology I used for my 7200:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc-0007/msg00360.html

Except I'm using an old OS 7.6 as the base OS for the Mac parition instead of the 7.5.3 I mention in the above message (I've upgraded my hard drive and my cd-rom from the factor C500 so the system CD that came with it doesn't work anymore).

I'm just repartitioning now to get rid of a 2 year old LinuxPPC install that was on there.