On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 09:42:36PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> 'The ATI VHA Software Development Kit will be available for use by
> recognized software developers from March 2000 onwards through the ATI
> Registered Developer Program, and comprises an MPEG-2 accelerated driver
> and sample code for MPEG-2 playback. Although the sample code will be
> released open source, the MPEG-2 driver will be released in binary
> format in order to maintain DVD security.'

Since when do iDCT and motion comp have anything to do with CSS?

That horse has left the barn.  Once the disc is unlocked and the stream
decoded, holding back on chipset hardware accel features is just
idiotic.

In that case, you're actually making things worse from Hollywood's
perspecive.  By not helping the Open Source crowd to play back DVD's at
full speed straight off the disc, you're begging them to extract the whole
damn stream to the hard drive and do transforms on it so it can be played
back from the hard drive in real time.

And once it's in that nice convenient format, why not shunt it out the
Ethernet port to your friend with an iBook who's in the same boat?

"DVD security" is a total red herring.  I resent being fed this line of
horse shit.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       Convictions are more dangerous
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       enemies of truth than lies.