On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 12:57:51PM -0800, Johan en Katrien Dewaele wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> --- Chris Tillman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 04:56:56AM -0700, Johan en
> > Katrien Dewaele wrote:
> > > Hi people,
> > > I need your help/advice on this one : I'm a newbie
> > in
> > > this PPC-Linux thing.
> > >
> > > I acquired this old Mac PPC 4400/200
>
> Changed strategy : put my Linux-disk on ide0 - and
> redid install so I could go with quik.
>
> Now I have another problem :
> When boot-floppy boots I get a nice screenoutput with
> the penguin on top : kernel detects following (dmesg
> output) :
>
> MacOs display is /bandit/ATY,264VT
> Using unsupported 640x480 ATY,264VT at 81800480,
> depth=8, pitch=640
> Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
> fb0: Open Firmware frame buffer device on
> /bandit/ATY,264VT
> etc...
>
> When I reboot (during the install, after making
> harddisk bootable) I get no(or garbled) screen-output.
>
> I've tried different combinations of c -and vmode with
> video=atyfb. With following combinations i get output
> but it is scrolling fast/garbled and not usable. :
> vmode:6,cmode:8
>       5       8
>      14       1
>
> I can see through the "waves" that the installer tries
> to continue the install.
> Replaced atyfb with offb and ofonly : no go.
>
> So : I guess I got some wrong parameters in the PRAM
> and/or quik.conf.  What combination/frame buffer does
> the boot-floppy use ? Can anybody shed a light ?
>
> This is what I've put in PRAM with nvsetenv:
>
> little-endian false
> real-mode     false
> auto-boot     true
> diag-switch   false
> fcode-debug   false
> oem-banner    false
> oem-logo      false
> use-nvramrc   false
> real-base     0xffffffff
> real-size     0x100000
> virt-base     0xffffffff
> virt-size     0x100000
> load-base     0x600000
> pci-probe-list        0xffffffff
> screen-#columns       0x64
> screen-#rows  0x28
> selftest-#megs        0x0
> boot-device   ata/[EMAIL PROTECTED]:0
> boot-file      ata/[EMAIL PROTECTED]:2/vmlinux

On mine, I just put Linux here, not the path to the kernel.
Then the quik.conf Linux label controls the boot.

> video=atyfb:vmode:5,cmode:8
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't know what this is doing in here?

> diag-device   fd-diags
> diag-file
> input-device  kbd
> output-device         /bandit/ATY,264VT
> oem-banner
> oem-logo
> nvramrc
> boot-command  begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again
>
> quik.conf:
>
> default=Linux
> timeout=100
> root=/dev/hda2
> partition=2
> image=/vmlinux
        ^^^^^^^^
quik doesn't grok symlinks, you must have copied your kernel there?
>       append="video=atyfb:vmode:5,cmode:8"
>       label=Linux
>       read-only

Things to try:
* append="video=atyfb:vmode:5"
* append="video=ofonly"
* don't append anything

(append="video=ofonly" is what the standard boot floppy uses).

Remember you always have to run quik after changing the quik.conf

According to http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=112401
your machine supports several modes, you might want to try some
of the other vmode numbers as well.

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|            Chris Tillman        [EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |