Michel =?ISO-8859- writes:
> On Mit, 2002-10-30 at 02:03, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

>> Same here, except with a G4 Cube and the Apple Cinema Display.
>> Did you get to play with poorly documented kernel parameters too?
>> I had to add "ofonly" to install, then "video=aty128fb:vmode:22"
>> to get tolerably fast video after the install. I still get bits
>> of crud at the top of my screen when in X, and occasional bits of
>> overwritten text when I do "ls" on the console.
>>
>> I sure do wish somebody would explain why this is necessary.
>
> Because people like you seem to prefer bitching over doing something?

As I said, I can't be an expert at everything. I'll fix procps
bugs if you have any to report. I'll even explain why the "ps -aux"
warning is necessary, and did so in the procps FAQ.

Your turn:

Why is is normal for a new install to get a black screen?
Why is is normal to need poorly documented kernel parameters?
Why can't a shipped-by-Apple LCD be fully detected?
Why do I need magic numbers in my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file?
Etc., etc., etc.
(and when, if ever, is this all going to be fixed?)

I think it's reasonable to expect that somebody on the debian-powerpc
claiming to be an XFree86 and DRI developer explain WTF is wrong.
Again, I'll answer your questions in my areas of expertise. This is
your area of expertise, so you do the answering.