Hallo Michael,

Just found your mail:

>> With Michels advise I found a new 2.4.18 kernel with:
>>
>> apt-cache search kernel-image-2.4.*powerpc
>>
>> and downloaded it with:
>>
>> apt-get install -d kernel-image-2.4.18-powerpc (-d for download only without
>> installation).
>
> So the previous kernel was also a 2.4.18 release?

No the previous kernel was the 2.2.20 kernel that I have on my floppies.
With these floppies I installed the whole system, but wasn't able to run
x-windows (with none of the drivers (ati, fbdev and the 10 others). The most
promising however  was the vga driver, but that stuck because it asked for a
Clock line.

>> Trying out some different settings of the XF86Config-4 file with:
>>
>> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>>
>> I found the only working driver was the "fbdev" driver, needing no System
>> RAM, but needing /dev/input/mice.
>
> Did fbdev work with the old kernel also? I suspect your new kernel doesn't
> fix the problem but rather found an old way to bypass the problem (Michel:
> does X mangle the PCI resources only with the aty driver, or does this
> happen with fbdev as well?)

No, the fbdev driver works as the only one only on the 2.4.18 kernel. With
this new kernel the problem was solved.

See also my recent mail.

> Michael

Befu