On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 12:32, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > I'm having not difficulty per se, but irritation.  The screen on my 1st
> > gen Flat Panel iMac "blanks" by lighting ever pixel up like a wide blue
> > sky.  It's a little irritating when I'm trying to sleep.  Any ideas how
> > I could get it to really blank?
>
> Screen blanking is done by shutting off video out on rivafb, maybe that's
> not enough [...].

It isn't, the panel should be powered down as well (but I guess there
isn't enough information how to do it). An undriven panel shows the
effect called 'blooming', and while it's never seemed to damage any of
my panels, I wouldn't count on that.

> Try using generic fbcon blanking (line 2107 in drivers/video/riva/fbdev.c.
> function riva_set_fbinfo, set info->blank = NULL instead of rivafb_blank).

That won't save power either, but it's probably better than blooming
indeed.

> Do you get the same color when starting up X (right after console
> switching, before the X default cross-hatch background pattern appears)?
> I've been wondering about that one before.

Same thing probably.