Hi,

Ryan Verner schrieb:
I am thinking about switching from kernel 2.4.x to 2.6.x because of the dvb-support. At the moment I am using a dvb-c-card with my beige G3.

I was able to compile a 2.6 kernel and boot with it, but as soon as the kernel starts my screen gets blank and I can not see any output while it boots. The first thing I can see is when the X server starts and shows me the gdm-login-screen. When I try to switch to a virtual-text-terminal I get a yellow screen and no login prompt.

Any hint what is wrong? Do I need some kind of kernel-arguments to switch virtual-terminals on?

Certainly not, unless you're using strange video hardware. Sure you compiled it in okay - I've noticed some strange defaults with various branches of 2.5 and 2.6-test, but I thought these were sane in final releases.

Could be a framebuffer issue too; make sure you've got the right support compiled in.

This happens if you compile your framebuffer driver as module. You can also load them via initrd. Try to load vesafb for example. (modprobe vesafb) Maybe you will get your console back.
--

MfG
Sandro

SandroHardy@ NO SPAM. geistlos.de