On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:55:34 +0000 (GMT)
Rodrigo Weymar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

RW> Hi all,
RW>
RW> I am trying to (re)install Debian Woody 3.0 R3 on an
RW> iBook G3 600 Mhz, but I get the following error
RW> messages:
RW>
RW> user.info dbootstrap [81]: installing kernel and
RW> modules from
RW> /instmnt/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current
RW> user.info dbootstrap [81]: segmentation fault
RW> user.info dbootstrap [81]: loop: can't get info on
RW> device /dev/loop0: no such device or address
RW> user.err dbootstrap [81]: extracting rescue floppy
RW> from non_floppy device
RW> /instmnt/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current failed
RW> with -1
RW> user.err dbootstrap [81]: The attempt to extract the
RW> Rescue Floppy from disk failed.
RW>
RW> I have tried also to install from an older Woody 3.0
RW> R2 media, but exactly the same error occurs. The most
RW> curious thing about that, is that I have already
RW> succesfully installed Debian ppc in an early time from
RW> the same Woody 3.0 R2 media.
RW>
RW> I have already searched for similar errors in the
RW> mailing lists, but without succesfull. I founded [1]
RW> and other similar messages, but all refering to
RW> different installation methods.
RW>
RW> Any hints are welcome!
RW>
RW> Thanks in advance,
RW> Rodrigo

The fact that you are getting a segmentation fault on two different
installation media sets suggests bad memory. Unfortunately I don't think
there's a bootable memory tester for powerpc.

James

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |