On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 03:15:17PM +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi Colin
>
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 11:53:32AM +0200, Colin Leroy wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > http://developer.apple.com/transitionkit.html
> >
> > Looks like hackers can get an x86 Apple machine right now, if they fork
> > $999.
> >
> > I guess Ben's employer may not really want to provide that to him :-/
> > Maybe we users can re-do a distributed donation to Benh, if he's
> > interested in making Linux work on this hybrid stuff?
>
> With all due respects to you, and to Ben: I don't think I'd be willing
> to pay anyone anytime, ever, to make an x86 machine work just because
> it might have some Apple logo on it. Even if I had the money, that I
> do not have.

Fully agreed.

> I already wrote it somewhere on my Home pages some time ago, months
> before the Apple switch to Intel: I'm waiting whether IBM will issue
> affordable PPC notebooks. And I still see it like that. More than ever
> now.

I'm far less optimistic than you, especially about notebooks
since no IBM processor seems to have the right compromise
between power consumption and performance for a competitive
notebook. I'm just slighly less pessimistic about the
possibility of affordable desktop motherboards.

        Regards,
        Gabriel