On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Matthias Grimm wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:41:08 +0200
> Stefano Zacchiroli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 07:44:39PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > >  I had what I _assume_ was this problem (machine apparently locked and
> > > feeling warm or hot, I don't know where to find any MagicSysRQ keys)
> > > with 2.6.12-rc6 (and perhaps with 2.6.11.9) until I disabled
> > > NoTapTyping.  Before that, it would typically lock up within an hour of
>
> > Anyay, with NoTapTyping enabled (default of the new debian package) my
> > laptop freezes, in an unpredictable manner but no longer then 10 minutes
> > after the boot, when start typing in a terminal.
>
> This freezes in conjunction with NoTapTyping must be a new problem. If the
> machine really freezes (no mouse movement, etc) it has nothing to do with
> the CPU=100% problem, I think.

 Possible.  Maybe it's a gcc-3.4 issue ? (I'm using 3.4.3, the first
reference to turning off NoTapTyping that I found came from a gentoo guy
on the pbbuttonsd list, and I assume the problems he was reporting were
with a recent version of gcc).

> What machines do you have? Does the trackpad work? (I think so, you
> wouldn't use NoTapTyping otherwise). Are there any other hints you can
> provide to me? For example what did you do just before the freeze? Were
> you typing, not typing, changing hardware (USB) components, etc.? Did your
> logfiles tell something unusual?

 Mine is an iBook from last year, identifying itself as PowerBook6,5 and
detected as 287 (iBook G4) with a 7447A.  I assume the trackpad works
(when the display starts to darken after inactivity, touching the
trackpad restores it, but I don't have X or gpm installed yet).

 BUT, 'NoTapTyping = yes' is in the default pbbuttonsd.conf shipped with
0.6.10, which was why I started with it.

 My lockups were all on battery power, mostly reading mail via ssh to my
main machine, but in one case editing a script on the iBook itself with
vim.  So far, I haven't touched the usb ports on this machine since I
installed linux!

 Nothing in the logs, I had to kill it with the power button each time.

> Any hint is welcome because I don't have this problems on my ancient Pismo
> and therefore I have some difficulties to debug it.
>
>   Best Regards
>     Matthias

 Like I say, turning off NoTapTyping seems to be key for this machine.

Ken