On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 08:11:36AM +0100, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> I remember that in a recent issue of a german Linux magazin a work
> around for this was presented: Use the 2.4 kernel to do a (minimal)
> install and then build your own kernel (> 2.6.8 in Sarge). There were
> some minor tips around this as well which I forgot, but since you use
> Debian for some time this should get you going.

This advice is x86 specific, and using 2.4 kernels on powerpc these days is
akin to pure madness :)

A more exact tip is :

  1) use the sarge installer, and go upto the install phase.

  2) Before rebooting the machine, switch to console 2 and chroot into
  /target.

  3) mount /proc and /sys.

  4) download the sid kernels, initramfs-tools and udev packages (and
  dependencies), and install those.

  5) redo the yaboot configuration.

  6) proceed with the normal install and reboot.

Another possibility is to try the debian/etch beta2 installer, which will have
2.6.15 kernel from the start. You will even be able to have the graphical
installer then. The beta2 is not yet out (but almost there), and you can use
daily builds of the installer until it is.

Friendly,

Sven Luther