Le Wed, May 17, 2006 at 09:02:40PM +0200, Wolfgang Faber a écrit :
> Dear all,
>
> I noticed that the package sgb (Stanford GraphBase by Don Knuth) is
> available in binary only for i386. I'm not sure about the reason for
> that; it has been moved to non-free with the latest version (apparently
> Knuth doesn't allow it to be modified) quite some time ago, could this
> be a reason? At the moment there is also a broken dependency when you
> try to install sgb-doc, which does exist on non-i386.
>
> Is the right way to go to file a bug report? How does the porting
> usually work, is it buildd.debian.org? Did the maintainer forget to
> issue a "request" in this case, or can even I do that?

Dear Wolfgang,

As the non-free section is not autobuilt, the package for powerpc
would have to be compiled on a internal debian machine (for security
purposes), and to be uploaded. The maintainer of the package is of
course the best person to ask this first, and doing so via a bug report
gives some tracability to the request.

In the meantime, you can build it yourself easily from the source
package. Provided that you have the appropriate "deb-src" line in your
/etc/apt/souces.list file, juste type in a directory where you have
enough space for the compilation.

sudo apt-get build-dep sgb
fakeroot apt-get source --build sgb

This will produce a binary package for powerpc. Ideally, you could do
this before sending the bug, thus confirming to the maintainer that the
operation will be trivial.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy