"Petris Dimitrios" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have a powerbook G4 and debian installed on it. I recently lost my yaboot
> bootloader and it starts automatically with osx. Does anyone know how to
> restore the bootloader without losing any data?

Another alternative is to boot into OpenFirmware (Command-Option-O-F)
and manually set the boot device:

First, to load yaboot, try:

0 > boot hd:2,yaboot

(for /dev/hda2).  If that doesn't work, you can:

printenv boot-device

This will tell you the current device.  Write it down in case
something gets screwed up!

0 > setenv boot-device=/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]:2,\\:tbxi
or
0 > setenv boot-device=hd:2,\\:tbxi

0 > mac-boot

This is for yaboot on /dev/hda2 on my Mac Mini.  Check what your
current settings are, and adjust appropriately.

OF is fairly easy, other than the stupidly long pathnames.  "help" is
a good command to start with.

See
http://penguinppc.org/bootloaders/yaboot/doc/yaboot-howto.shtml/ch9.en.shtml
for other recovery instructions...