Hello Wolfgang,

Wolfgang Pfeiffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 04:03:54PM +0000, Jörg Sommer wrote:
>> Sven Luther <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> > On my powerbook (last-of-tibook generation, some 3-4 years old), US
>> > keyboard,
>> > the 6 key is part of the fn-enabled numerical pad, and is marked 'clear'
>> > for
>> > the combination with the fn key.
>>
>> I've got the information in the german mac group that this is the clear
>> key found on a calculator. I tried the calculator (in german ???Rechner???)
>> from OS X and, yes, it is the clear key used to reset the calculator.
>>
>> I don't know if X has an equivalent, but it is not the num lock key.
>
> That's not so clear:

<news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<http://www.google.com/search?q=numeric+keypad+layout+site:apple.com>

> On Apple keyboards the [Clear] key on the number pad should be used in
> place of [Num Lock]. If you have done this correctly the Caps Lock and
> Scroll Lock lights on the keyboard

This text doesn't include a statement that the clear key is num lock.
It describes the key handling of a program, not more.

> And this excerpt from
> http://www.macintouch.com/ReaderReports/bootcamp/topic4188.html .. :
>
> You can search for more instances of the "clear key" on this last
> page, with several hints that say this key has some sort of "Num Lock"
> function ...

Because it's not a offical site from Apple I would trust in this one:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G4/12inchPowerBookG4/3_Input-Output/chapter_4_section_12.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001763-CH207-BCIDEJAA

And the program "Rechner" from Apple handles the key differently from num
lock.

> You might want searching Google with these parameters:
> +"clear key" +apple +f6

Yes, F6 is the num lock key. The clear key is Fn + 6 (the key with the
ampersand &).

Bye, Jörg.
--
Die beste Tarnung ist die Wahrheit. Die glaubt einem keiner!
                      (Max Frisch: "Biedermann und die Brandstifter")