On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 05:02:33PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
[...]
> Denis: Do you by chance know, who works on the PowerPC installation
> manual?

In debian-installer, one selects a *console* layout; only a subset
of keymaps from console-data are included because of space constraints.
There is code in xserver-xorg.config to transform the selected console
keymap into XKB settings.
How are these settings selected?  Some users performed tests for their
hardware, gave their selected console keymap and their desired XKB
settings, so that xserver-xorg.config can be updated.
We are now very late in the release cycle, I am not sure if this can
be fixed, but if you want to try, please hurry up.

To me, those XKB settings do not belong to installation manual, but I
will be glad to add a README for Mac users into xkb-data if someone
can write detailed instructions.

> I could see that I get documentation for this setting into it.
> And if it helps calm things down, we could "mac"e the apple-layout the
> default.

In another thread, Wolfgang asked days ago what is the plan for the
future.  As explained above, testing keymaps of debian-installer
would help fixing current bugs.

On the XKB front, upstream wants to have a new release in few weeks.
Powerpc fixes have already been incorporated, but there is still one
major issue we would like to fix, which is to merge all Macintosh
layouts into symbols/* files.  For instance, Macintosh French layout
would become the "mac" variant of symbols/fr.  This way, one could
more easily select a Mac layout on a PC keyboard, or vice versa.
I will work on this issue this weekend.
There is one problem though, a "mac" variant has already been
included into symbols/de.  So someone has to review differences
between symbols/de(mac) and symbols/macintosh_vndr/de, and explain
which layout should be kept, or keep both layouts and provide an
alternative name for the 2nd one.

Denis