> FWIW, I haven't heard of this blooming damaging hardware. Still it's
> probably a good idea not to leave it indefinitely. :)
>
> There seems to be a race condition somewhere which sometimes causes this
> when setting a video mode. I can usually get back the correct display by
> forcing a mode set, e.g. by switching between console and X.

The problem seems to be due to the panel powerup sequence. It looks like
you need to do a well timed sequence of events when toggling the various
LVDS related control bits for the panel to come reliably up. However,
from trial & error, I've never been able to come up with a sequence that
works perfectly for everybody. I suspect differnent panel models require
different sequences.

Unfortunately, ATI never answered my various questions about this.

On the other hand, I seriously doubt that this can damage hardware. The
fact is that if a flawky chip ends up dying while in linux, people tend
to blame linux :-) If that happens in MacOS, they rightfully blame the
hardware... go figure.

Ben.