On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 21:07:55 +0000 (UTC)
Amit Uttamchandani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,
> However, I have a small issue with the brightness level. I had OpenBSD (4.1)
> and
> Mac OS X (10.4) installed at one point and the brightness level was much
> higher
> than what I have here in Debian. I installed pbbuttonsd and brightness keys
> were
> working but still can't get it as bright as OpenBSD or OS X. Searching the ppc
> mailinglist suggest the use of ikeys to give 15 brightness levels? But
> checking
> aptitude it seems that this package is out of date and would conflict with the
> installed pbbuttonsd.

ikeys won't be a solution for your problem, because it controls the
brightness level in the same way as pbbuttonsd.

I think your system uses the new SysFS Brightness interface which has
128 or maybe 256 brightness steps on your system. You could check this
with the program Powerprefs, go to the display page (light bulb) and
check which "Driver" is currently active in pbbuttonsd to control the
display brightness.

The programming of the graphics card's backlight controller is done by
the kernel. There might be various reasons for setting the max
brightness level as it is. Maybe the OpenBSD guys love to take higher
risks regarding their hardware? Who knows ;-) You might want to ask this
question on the kernel mailing list as well.

 Best Regards
   Matthias