I only noticed this morning that I had Number Lock turn on...  (the
little green light below the f6 key)  by turning it off, the whole
keyboard came back to life.

Can I turn off Number Lock when X starts? Having Number Lock on for external keyboard may be a good default option but on internal laptop keyboard it's rather annoying.

Also, when Number Lock is turned on, it doesn't output numbers when I press the keys (uio (456) jkl (123)) but I can get the + - / . Is there a way to output the numbers?

thanks,

Sébastien