On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Stephane Louise
<luigi+onl...@nerim.net<luigi%2bonl...@nerim.net>
> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Brian Morris wrote:
>
>> Hey I just did an update today at the console, and
>> starting up the window system after, the Xserver hangs.
>>

>> I can try reconfiguring the server first (I have a very plain system here,
>> just openbox wm with a startx manual start), and/or I can test it by ssh
>> line in case it is just the server/ keyboard hanging.
>>

> My macmini here dies whenever I try to launch an opengl application (like
> glxgears, glxinfo alone is alright though). When I say it dies, its: hard
> freeze, cannot ping the poor thing throught network and it just stand frozen
> here until the hard reset.
>
> I didn't have time to investigate, but if you have a composite desktop
> manager, you may want to desactivate that to see if your  Tibook survives
> the X start up.

Openbox I run is just a simple window manager. However I could try turning
off acceleration of the server driver or even using a generic driver. These
things have happened before and sometimes it was a bug and sometimes it was
requiring to reconfigure the server options.

but its interesting you can't even ping in. I wonder if that could be a
kernel bug, the driver problem shouldn't kill the whole OS, should it ?

however if you start the server remotely you may see error messages which
otherwise are covered up and lost. I did that before too.

just lazy now and a bit discouraged around obsolence issues in Debian in
general not knowing if it is powerpc or debian or what. Anyway it has been a
rather disappointing year for me with Debian and LInux with breakages over
incompatibilities. Now I understand why some people keep a copy of
old-stable around (which is Etch right now).

brian