Thanks for your answer, Gunther.  I'm still new,  could you (or anyone for
that matter) please make that a bit more user friendly?  I understand that
I'll have to "hold some packages", but I don't know how to do that.  I've
tried editing the /etc/apt/sources.list before and it failed probably
because I didn't hold those packages.  I run
$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
and it says "no file found".  How do I hold packages?  Where can I find this
in the documentation?  Thanks for your patience.  This computer is my
Grandma's old computer that I rescued from an early grave with Debian, and
I'm hoping to keep it as up-to-date as possible as long as possible.
I'm still hoping to find a way to adjust the monitor.  It's really crooked
and doesn't use all the screen area.  Any Ideas, anyone?
Nicholas Chase