On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 12:24 AM, David Lowe <doctorjl...@verizon.net>wrote:

> On 13 Aug, 2011, at 6:55 PM, Brian Morris wrote:
>
> >        ?!?  I didn't think trackpads from this era were able to recognize
> multiple fingers.
> >
> > Oh, wait which exact model do you have ? mine is early 2005.
>
>         Mine is late 2003 [1 GHz].  A few years ago one of my coworkers
> brought a MacBook by for comparison.  His was using gestures [two finger
> scrolling, etc.] and mine wasn't even though we both had Leopard installed;
> therefore i assumed that the difference was hardware rather than software.

Might try it anyway. Sometimes apple doesn't support even though the feature
works. For instance my ancient powerbook didn't even support tapping unless
you installed a special 3rd party extension in macOS.

> > > By the way, for speed, I am using the LXDE desktop environment. There
> is now an lxde cd, as well as a netinstall option for it. much faster and
> less resource consumptive than the other alternatives.
> >
> >        Yeah, i might look into that.  Presumably i don't need to install
> from scratch, so i'll search for an LXDE package.
> >
> > its a little tough to remove gnome and then put in lxde to replace it.
> easier I think if you are just getting started to just start over. It is a
> LOT faster though, plus saving a lot of RAM.
>
>         Installing LXDE was easy.  I didn't feel the need to remove gnome,
> as the linux partition is 75 GiBi and isn't in any immediate danger of
> filling up.  At login i can choose whether to go into an LXDE session,
> gnome, or KDE.  Since each of them has their own strengths and weaknesses,
> i'll use different sessions for different things.  In my initial foray into
> LXDE i couldn't find everything that i knew how to use in gnome, so it's
> nice to be able to go back and use it as needed.  Choice is good, and those
> other interface components shouldn't be initialized/loaded in a LXDE session
> - they won't slow me down just by being on the hard drive.

Hmmm, how do you do this exactly ? When I was on a foray into Ubuntu I had a
terrible time with this. However recently installed a Debian on a 500mhz
Pentium3 I made it to use "startx" from console into a simple window manager
only then if I start a Terminal I get LXDE by running lxpanel app. I guess
there's like gnome-session maybe (but if I installed this it would take over
control, even if I killed it would just restart itself)?

And I am surprised, you find even KDE to be not too slow ? Do you do
optimized g4 builds ? Do you run KDE apps or just the Desktop ? I tried
Krita on a 550 g4 and it was so slow I didn't think it would help even at
1.5ghz... although Scribus (a kde-aware app) works ok, w/out the desktop I
have no drag 'n drop...

What I do is run gnome and kde applications which bring in their libraries,
but do not require the desktop environment. This saves me much RAM ...