On Tue, Jan 01, 2019 at 07:10:17PM +0100, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

[ ... ]

Fine, why not try just booting a debian 8 image and see? I could tryi fixing yaboot (e.g. by installing the one just booted) or by installing debian 8 and then upgrading later.

I got the netinst iso on a USB stick just by doing on Linux (intel):

sudo dd if=debian-8.11.0-powerpc-netinst.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M; sync

looks good ... one just has to be extremely careful about the the
"of=sdX" part of the incantation ... ;) one small mistake and a disk
might be destroyed ..

Is that fine on PPC too? I hope so.

To boot it, enter in Open-Firmware and "boot usb".

.... would be nice if it was that easy ... ;) ... You're close, but
still: there's more to it: see below ..

I get into the First Stage GNU/Linux bootstrap and type "l" for
GNU/Linux. I get:

Decrementer exception at  %SRR0: 001001d8  %%SRR1: 10003030

Am I sure I am booting from the USB key and not from HD or the two boot stages are getting mixed?

Detailed instructions on how to boot from a USB stick via Open
Firmware to a PowerPc machine:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2012/08/msg00042.html

The page is a few years old but it worked here about a year ago.

You probably already know that you'll be, IIRC, on an qwerty keyboard
in OF - so be prepared to search and find the needed keys:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/12/msg00008.html

Good luck!

Wolfgang