Hi,

I finally figured out what the problem is.

After realizing that the two-stage build of GHC works without problems,
I realized it can be a configuration issue only and, indeed, it is.

Looking at /usr/lib/ghc/lib/settings, the default linker is set to gold:

        "C compiler link flags", "-fuse-ld=gold"

Since gold is broken on powerpc and shouldn't really be used anymore since
it's basically unmaintained upstream, we must use bfd on powerpc by default.

Editing the file and switching back to bfd fixes the problem for me.

Now we just need to figure out how to actually set the default linker back
to bfd as it was actually explicitly supposed to happen according to
debian/rules.

This will most likely also unbreak GHC on m68k.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer