On Sun 18 Mar 2018 at 19:13:04 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Quoting Brian Potkin (2018-03-18 19:00:20)
> > During the management of bug #891810 this exchange took place between
> > Jonas Smedegaard and Didier 'OdyX' Raboud:
> >
> >  Le dimanche, 4 mars 2018, 13.54:27 h CET Jonas Smedegaard a écrit :
> >  > > Is PolicyKit _required_ for _all_ uses of hplip?
> >
> >    > Good question. I'll admit I was put off my the (exhausting) 'systemd'
> >    > argument, and hadn't checked what exactly was done with PolicyKit.
> >
> >    > My reading is that PolicyKit is used to grant privilege to run
> > `hp-plugin` for
> >    > plugin download, thereby avoiding the need for sudo.
> >
> >    > So no, definitely not _required_.
> >
> > I thought that is the function of Policykit in hplip too so put it to
> > the test yesterday. stretch (base system only) was installed, upgraded
> > to unstable and then hplip (without its recommended packages) was
> > installed. 'hp-plugin -i' runs to completion after asking for and being
> > provided with the root/superuser password. There is no difference in the
> > outcome when policykit-1 is on the system.
> >
> > Maybe policykit-1 is used elsewhere with hplip (the GUI parts?) but I
> > did not look at this extensively. What I did do was use 'hp-setup -i'
> > without policykit-1 for a USB connected MFP. That gave
> >
> >  error: No device selected/specified or that supports this functionality
> >
> > and journalctl indicated that permission to access the USB bus had been
> > denied. Easily solved (as it is when sane-find-scanner gives a negative
> > outcome) by installing libpam-systemd. (Or, interestingly, putting the
> > user in the scanner group).
> >
> > The small amount I did indicates that having policykit-1 as only a
> > Recommends: has not impacted unfavourably on the hplip package.
>
> Thanks for sharing those details.
>
> From what you quoted above, it seems that Didier already hinted that
> (likely) the need for systemd was "for plugin download".

Note that neither of the two commands I used required policykit-1 to
be on the system for them to run successfully. What I forgot to mention
was that after installing libpam-systemd, the user has to log out and
log in again, so, as a non-expert guess, logind is involved somewhere.

I am not arguing for changing the present arrangement wrt dependencies
but pointing out (assuming the testing is valid) that libpam-systemd
seems to be the more important package when hp-setup is used.

Regards,

Brian.