So, I saw a post on freshmeat for an application called 'Aurora'.  It is a GUI
wrapper around the boot messages.  Currently it works on all RH variants.
Looking at the code and mailing the author, I discover that I can not port this
to debian.  The reason is that he keys off of exit codes, which RH has placed a
standard for their init scripts to follow.  Debian on the other hand often uses
exit 0 for ok, but not always and there is no policy for handling errors in the
scripts.  Some scripts die quietly, others loudly.

I would like for us to get together and come up with a standard here.  Doing
this will benfit everyone and hurt no one.  People who want the silly colored
boot messages can wrap our init, as can users of tools like Aurora.