On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 11:36:34PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         Why? I have very little feeling for what SPI does, as long as
>  they do not lose Debian money for the third time.  Considering all
>  SPI has to do is take in money designated for Debian, and hold it in
>  a bank (something they have failed to do twice already), I see no
>  reason to talk to SPI about any changes Debian makes to Debian
>  foundation documents.

SPI does not just hold money.  SPI also holds and defends trademarks and
copyrights, among other things.  SPI has been involved with getting
Debian's marks registered in numerous international jurisdictions and
has defended the marks -- with success -- on several occasions already.

There is also more to holding money than simply depositing it in a bank.
One must also ensure that it is spent according to applicable laws, that
proper documents and records are retained, and that proper documents are
filed with the government.

I think SPI's less-than-perfect track record on these things is well
known, as is the fact that SPI has been really improving on all this --
but still needs to improve more.

-- John