Julien BLACHE wrote:
> [Cc:ed as I don't know whether you're subscribed to -project]

I am subscribed, yes, but thanks for the cc.

> From the very start of the Debian Project, Debian has been different
> from everything else: different package management tools, different
> philosophy, different organization, you name it.

Debian stands out in many respects, yes. But being different for the
sake of it isn't a laudable goal: if there's a good idea, it deserves to
be considered, even if others are already considering it.

> Overall, it's been working fine for the last 16 years.

A lot has been achieved, yes. Could more be done? Could Debian be
stronger? Are there weaknesses that may be addressed? I think it's
always worth considering how things can be improved.
> What do you think the changes you are proposing can gain us?
>
> I don't believe in the "upstreams will care" stuff (there are good
> examples of upstreams not giving a damn about distributors over the
> past months) and I don't believe in the 100% end-user-centric focus
> you're displaying in your mail.

Well, we believe differently, and that's OK. I think it's easy enough to
go and speak to a few upstreams, and ask them this: "what would you do
differently if you knew that multiple distributions would all sit down
and think about which version of your code to ship with their big 2010
release?" I think you'd find most of them say "that would be amazing".

> Once I've removed that from your mail, and the "but Ubuntu loves you!"
> stuff, there's nothing left.

Mark