Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
> I understand you've been talking to other distributions as well about
> syncing releases (or freezes) in order to ship same versions of major
> system components. Now, much of the discussion here is about the actual
> dates, i.e. the possible freeze in a few month as well as freezing in
> the end of odd years to release in spring of even years. This idea seems
> to fit best to your (ubuntu's) current release cycle and I feel many
> Debian contributors see there your (inacceptable?) influence on Debian.
>
> I'm interested in the reactions of other distributions. Are they likely
> to change their release cycle to fit yours? Or would you be willing to
> change Ubuntu's release dates if SuSE proposed LTS releases to come out
> in odd years or similar?

I think most are waiting to see if Debian and Ubuntu can do this. If we
can, I am very confident we will get a group of other distributions
participating in the version harmonisation discussions in the first
round. To win Novell we would have to actually demonstrate the process
works, I think. And to win Red Hat we would need to demonstrate it works
with everyone else first. At least, that's my impression from
conversations to date.

Mark