On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 04:27:01PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> I would rather not complicate the CD+DVD building process even more to
> produce non-free images.  There are so many images that need to be
> created already.

> I would like us to provide non-free firmware blobs that may be
> required during installation in tarballs that can be downloaded or -
> if this is not possible - be loaded via USB sticks, floppies or
> cdroms.  The installer would need a possibility to include such
> firmware blobs and detect hardware again if required to continue the
> installation process.

There's a solution that seems obvious to me here, but no one has implemented
it yet, so I must be missing something; but I'll throw it out as a starting
point for discussion.

Why don't we offer tools - either web-based or commandline - that can append
a prepared firmware blob to an ordinary ISO in order to create an image that
can be burned as a multisession disk?  If this is technically possible - and
I believe that it should be - then we don't have to waste mirror space,
build time, etc. on a second set of non-free images.  We would just have to
make sure we leave enough extra room on our regular ISOs to allow grafting
on the firmware at the end, and prepare firmware blobs in an appendable
format.

So what am I missing?

slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org