On ti, 2010-09-14 at 17:35 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Jonas Smedegaard <d...@jones.dk> writes:
>
> > Makes sense to me.
>
> > Let's define only a single free-form field in the header section now.
>
> > I suggest it then be a field specifically for notes regarding source not
> > being "pristine" in the sense that the form as redistributed by Debian is
> > different from how it was distributed by upstream.
>
> > With this I mean that it should *both* cover cases of repackaging a
> > tarball *and* generating a tarball from e.g. a checkout from an upstream
> > VCS.
>
> > Suggested filed name:
>
> >  Source-Repackaged-Reason:
>
> We already have a field for this purpose, namely Source.  The only reason
> why we can't use it is because it's currently only allowed to contain
> URLs.  So what about, instead, broadening the syntax of Source to say that
> it contains *either* a space-separated list of URLs for the simple case of
> reusing an upstream release tarball available from some URL *or* freeform
> text describing where the source came from.
>
> I don't think it's horribly important that the URLs in Source be
> machine-extractable, since that purpose is already served well by
> debian/watch.  The field is primarily meant for humans anyway.

Good point about debian/watch.

The simplest proposal right now is to make the Source field free-form
text, and since I like simplicity, I support this. More detailed
specification for documenting mechanical rules of transformations could
wait until there's real experience of using this spec in the real world
for this.

Anyone opposed?