On Fri, 02 Dec 2011, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> Michael Hanke <m...@debian.org> writes:
> > not sure if it has been mentioned somewhere already, but the Proceedings
> > of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (aka
> > PNAS) has a paper on the evolution of software in Debian.
> >
> > http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2011/11/14/1115960108.abstract
> >
> > Unfortunately not open-access, but arxiv.org has the PDF
>
> It's particularly bad given you can opt to make PNAS articles
> open-access.

PNAS articles can be made open-access by paying USD $975 if you have a
site license, or USD $1300 if you don't.[1] For at least my lab, this
is enough money that it's not worth doing. [Instead, I tend to make a
pre press version available, or otherwise make the research available
to anyone who contacts me about one of my papers which they cannot
easily get.]

Don Armstrong

No amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free
[...] You can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.
 -- Robert Heinlein _Revolt in 2010_ p54