On Mon, 2014-11-17 at 14:10 -0800, Rhy Thornton wrote:
> More concerning than that is that systemd won't be producing human
> readable log files.  As a full time sysadmin, I'm reading log files all
> day, and I have to wonder what the reasoning behind this is (to be fair,
> I haven't really looked into it yet.  I'm busy with real work).

To be fair, it would be helpful if you _did_ look in to things, before
making incorrect statements with such certainty. If you don't get logs
as usual via syslog, that's a bug and should be fixed.

$ ls -ltr /sbin/init
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Sep 28 20:33 /sbin/init -> /lib/systemd/systemd

$ ls -l /var/log/syslog
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 769029 Nov 17 22:50 /var/log/syslog

ii  systemd      215-5+b1   amd64        system and service manager

Regards,

Adam
(also a sysadmin, reading log files much of the day and busy with real
work, including trying to get a release out...)