On 2016-05-20 at 07:59, Antonio Terceiro wrote:

> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 07:26:28AM +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
>
>> ❦ 19 mai 2016 16:39 GMT, Bas Wijnen <wij...@debian.org> :
>>
>>> Debian stable is for users who want a rock solid system.  It is
>>> out of date by the nature of how it is built.  Users who want to
>>> get the newest versions of their software should not be running
>>> stable; testing is probably better for them.
>>
>> testing is not suitable for most people because:

>> 2. packages can disappear at any time
>
> If they are broken. In my book that a feature and not a bug.

From a user perspective, it can be a problem, e.g. in the following
scenario:

* Package is in testing, works fine. User installs it on one or more
machines.

* Package in testing gets updated to a newer version, which is broken.

* Package gets removed from testing, because it's broken.

* User, who quite possibly never saw the broken version, wants to
install package on another machine.

From the user's perspective, what should have happened at step 3 is for
the package version available in testing to be reverted back to its last
non-broken version (whether verbatim or with a version bump over the
broken one), not for the package to have been removed entirely.

This may well not be practical as a policy, and I'm not trying to
suggest it as one, but it's an example of how broken-package removal can
be a bug rather than a feature.

--
   The Wanderer