On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 11:08:12AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 11:27:35PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> > With this message we define a way to appeal a DAM action,
>
> I'm treating this as if it's a first draft and open to comment.
>
> > 1. Appealing DAM decisions
> > --------------------------
> > Any person who had their Debian membership suspended or revoked by DAM may
> > appeal the decision.
>
> Based on the process you describe, I'd suggest phrasing this as "may
> ask for the decision to be reviewed by the New Members Committee".
> An "appeal" (at least in legal terms) usually goes to the more powerful
> body, but in this case, DAM is the more powerful body.
>
> Having the boss's decision reviewed by people who report directly to
> the boss is kind of a dodgy structure; and people on the new member
> committee will probably want to maintain good relations with DAM, at
> least if they want to continue doing new member work.

Actually, to the NM committee, "the boss" is frontdesk, not the DAM.
There is some overlap between the two (in fact, most DAMs get recruited
from the NM frontdesk AIUI), but they're still separate.

Having said that, "the boss" doesn't really exist in Debian, apart from
the DPL...

> > 2. DAM statement
> > ----------------
> > Within 72 hours DAM will provide a statement to the NMC and the appealer
> > with their reasoning for the account status change.
>
> I think by this point DAM should have already provided the reasoning
> for the expulsion to -private (or -project if the person being expelled
> agreed), so this should be redundant.

They might still want to provide a statement explaining some of the more
private arguments, though.

> > DAM may also send additional material to the NMC only, encrypted to the
> > individual members, if they deem it necessary for the case, and if
> > presenting this to a wider public might cause issues of confidentiality for
> > involved third-parties.
>
> > [1] The NM-Committee is defined as:
> >        - All members of DAM and FrontDesk.
> >        - All application manager that are marked as active and
> > processed at least one NM in the last 6 months.
> >    There is a mail alias <nm-commit...@nm.debian.org> which reaches all
> > members, it is regularly regenerated by FrontDesk.
>
> All AMs that have processed an NM in the last 6 months is a fairly
> broad group, and not one that's particularly selected for dealing with
> particularly sensitive information.

On the other hand, having an NM committee which gets selected
semi-randomly like that means that the DAM can't really "play" the
system as easily.

[...no further disagreements...]

--
To the thief who stole my anti-depressants: I hope you're happy

  -- seen somewhere on the Internet on a photo of a billboard