In order to improve the communication methods, the question is, if aspired improvements could be implemented for the email lists or not. If they cannot be implemented for the email lists, then improvements are unlikely to ever happen unless moving on to another communication platform where the improvements are possible.

The very good things already achieved by email lists are:
(1) messages cannot be changed with retrospective effect; all discussions stay well documented (2) the structured view in threads and various search options, as usually provided by the mail clients, help to effectively manage the vast amount of messages

The things which need improvement are the messages themselves:
(3) quality over quantity
(4) more feedback without unnecessarily texting

To this regard, addressing (3) and (4) at the same time by the same measure, various platforms introduced a scoring system for messages by analyzing the explicitly provided reader's feedback about the quality of messages and also building up a reputation score for the author. If the scoring algorithm is well selected, then an improvement of communication is indeed achieved by steadily stimulating the community to please not shine through by the number of comments but to instead search for satisfying reputation by considerably adding information to the topics.

Now, could the feedback be collected by a mailing list, and could each message come accompanied by some reputation score? I doubt so. If the list server would add a score to the mail subject, then the email client would no more be able to view messages threaded, and if the score is not added there, then the user will not have the score information available at a glance. But without the score, no improvement of the communication is systematically stimulated.

Could Discord (or other contenders) achieve this? Concerns (3) and (4) are addressed at the push of a button by what you could call an "Upvote", "Like", "Helpful", or alike feedback mechanism. Concern (2) is addressed for the web interface, and an email interface seems to be available for those who prefer this and could accept to stay without the steady reputation stimulus.

Could Discord (or other contenders) achieve (1) ?   I don't know.

In my opinion an improvement in communication would result from a reputation generating scoring system, IF relying on an algorithm tuned for quality in community participation. The default Trust Levels as offered by Discourse are tuned for the opposite! They do not only rate higher the amount of participation, the frequency of input from chatterers, than the quality of participation, but even assign to members with a higher score the right to edit the messages of others! This violates above mentioned point (1) unless there would be a possibility to reliably configure this towards the real needs of Debian. The same need for a strongly adopted configuration targets the absurd and ludicrous default set of "badges".

I suggest to have only one required badge available, and this to always overlay to the avatar in order to be visible at a glance for each single message displayed in the web interface: the score for the “Likes:Post ratio” (or something similar pointing towards a quality:quantity ratio of a member’s posts). The scoring algorithm could produce the integer numbers 0 to 9, normalizing to the member with the best ratio receiving a 9, and in general only placing a score number if the member has posted already 20 posts. If in a rush browsing for some fast help to a problem and not out for reading seesaw discussions about the preferences in the personal workflow of some individuals, then I would find some kind of guide in it for where it might be worth to start or stop reading a thread. Finally I could honor the seminal messages by myself providing my feedback at a push of a button. It would be helpful if a member "A" is limited to not honor more than 20 messages of a member "B" in order to prevent bias from personal friendships, and it would be great if reputation scores could be calculated for each topical channel individually.

But trust levels which allow for editing posts are VERY problematic, especially in the Debian community! Maybe allow to the original editor of a post to correct its post in a short time window AND as long as no reply was posted - for correcting of typos and alike. But beyond this I doubt that giving somebody the possibility to edit a post - even if in practice never becoming used - would destroy confidence in the medium for discussing issues. The already difficult mixture of characters making up Debian would not receive help by using such medium, but would divide even more, if someone could impute message editing to some other person.

If Discourse could be configured towards these ideas, then it would be a win for the communication, if not then it would simply be another platform but not an improvement for the community efficiency.