Le Thu, May 02, 2024 at 02:01:20PM -0400, Tiago Bortoletto Vaz a écrit :

> I would like Debian to discuss and decide on the usage of AI-generated content
> within the project.

Hi Tiago,

as a Debian developer I refrain from using commercial AI to genereate
code used in my packaging work or native packages, because I think that
these systems are copyright laundering machines that allow to suck the
energy invested in Free Sofware and transfer it in proprietary works
(and to a lower extent to un-GPL works).

If I would hear that other Debian developers use them in that context, I
would seriously question whether there is any value to spend my
volunteer time in keeping debian/copyright files accurate to the level
of details our Policy asks for.  When the world and ourselves will have
given up on respecting Free Software copyrights and passing attribution,
I will not see the point spending time doing more than the bare minimum,
for instance like in Anaconda, where you just get License: MIT and the
right to download the sources and check yourself the year of attribution
and names of contributors.

This said, I have not found time to try debgpt and feel guilty about
this.  If there will be a tool that is trained with source code for
which the authors gave their consent, where the license terms were
compatible, and provides its output under the most viral terms (probably
AGPL), I would love to use it and give attribution to community of
contributors to the software.

So in summary, I probably would vote for a GR calling against the use of
the current commercial AI for generating Debian packaging, native, or
infrastructure code, unless of course good arguments are further
provided against.  This said, I think that we can not and should not
control for people not respecting the call.

Have a nice day,

Charles

--
Charles Plessy                         Nagahama, Yomitan, Okinawa, Japan
Debian Med packaging team         http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med